Or it will be with some of the kids in older boy’s year at school, not all. The problem we have with high schools in our area is that there is too much choice. We started looking at potential schools for older boy this time last year and are now on the second leg, looking at some schools for the first time and some for the second. The dreaded form has to be submitted in a couple of weeks and now I just want it over and done with. I am telling myself that I can’t make the wrong decision cause we are in a fortunate position of having a number of good schools within our catchment area. Of course, as a Mother I will be the second (older boy will be first) to blame myself if our allocated school does not seem to be a good option. I am therefore having many moments of self doubt. Why does it feel like the most important decision ever?
In my day (yes I sound like an old fart) there was one choice of secondary school, and unless you decided to go down the private route, that’s where you went. This doesn’t help. Naturally, older boy has decided that he prefers the school that is furthest away and which we are least likely to get into to as I suspect we are out of catchment, although when he talks about his plans for next year, interestingly he talks about them in the context of going to my preferred choice of school for him which is significantly nearer. This school finishes at 2pm on a Wednesday, which not surprisingly appeals. At the risk of sounding precious, I would prefer him to go to a school nearby, mainly cause I don’t know how he is going to fit everything in otherwise. Older boy plays for two football teams and as a result life is choc o bloc. With homework to factor in, something may have to give.
I have already mentioned how relieved I will be when the application form together with the decision making process has been and gone. How long will this relief last? I am acutely aware that the transition to High School is going to involve lots of negotiations and adjustments, in other words lots of rows and dramas. I will then have a year’s grace before I need to start looking at schools again for younger boy as something tells me that he isn’t going to want to go to the same school as his brother.